Thursday, May 31, 2007

Strength, Vulnerability, and the Truth

I guess this is of a less carefree note than the first blog, but today I well--I don't feel as carefree:

1. Strength:

1. the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
2. mental power, force, or vigor.
3. moral power, firmness, or courage.
4. power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
5. number, as of personnel or ships in a force or body: a regiment with a
strength of 3000.
6. effective force, potency, or cogency, as of inducements or arguments: the
strength of his plea.
7. power of resisting force, strain, wear, etc.
8. vigor of action, language, feeling, etc.
9. the effective or essential properties characteristic of a beverage, chemical,
or the like: The alcoholic strength of brandy far exceeds that of wine.
10. a particular proportion or concentration of these properties; intensity, as of
light, color, sound, flavor, or odor: coffee of normal strength.
11. something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or
encouragement; sustenance: The Bible was her strength and joy.
12. power to rise or remain firm in prices: Stocks continued to show strength. The
pound declined in strength.

2. Vulnerability:

1. capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt, as by a weapon: a
vulnerable part of the body.
2. open to moral attack, criticism, temptation, etc.: an argument vulnerable to
refutation; He is vulnerable to bribery.
3. (of a place) open to assault; difficult to defend: a vulnerable bridge.

3. Truth:

1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like:
mathematical truths.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.
6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
8. (often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and
transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
9. agreement with a standard or original.
10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
11. Archaic. fidelity or constancy.


I know that there are many definitions of the above three words. A couple of days ago, I just kept going over the three words in my head. Were they opposites, or were they more of a cycle--a system of checks and balances.

Most of us have probably heard things like, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I guess most of my life, I have really devoted to being a strong person. Someone that is very self-reliant; someone that "holds their cards very close to them", as my good friend Wendy would say. I have attempted to be someone that does not show a lot of emotion.

I guess that one could consider "their cards" as the truth; i.e., "Really, deep down, just who (the fuck) are you?" No one wants people to know "the truth", though; sometimes, the truth may cause others to perceive us as being weak (not strong). I guess, in other words, the truth can make us vulnerable ("the truth hurts"), and being vulnerable is not being strong, is it?

But is something that is vulnerable necessarily weaker? Maybe so, initially. However, after someone or something is attacked, it usually becomes stronger/more skilled so that the next time, it is not wounded as badly, e.g., the immune response to antigens.

So I kept going over this in my head the other day because for some reason or other (or maybe multiple reasons), I decided against my usual instinct to take a chance (to voluntarily make myself vulnerable), and I was hurt (as Miss Thompson used to say, "you gonna get burnt"). Usually I just kind of stand in the corner; I do not like to be the center of attention. Kind of like my elementary/high school mentality--if you give someone the chance to put you down, then damn it, they'll put you down. So in the end, I guess sticking my neck out didn't make me less strong; I guess next time I'll know how to handle the situation better.

Another lesson that I learned for this--ask for help when you need it. I decided to call my friends Amy and Gigi, and then after a drive and some coffee I felt better. I decided that no, I'm not a weak person. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me--eh, well a few people do.

Ok, I have been up for near 24 hours. I have gone through a fairly tough call night. I have gone to see the dermatologist and the dentist today. I am tired. If you can make any fucking sense of what I just wrote, then you're probably smarter than I am.

I guess this can relate to one of my favorite songs, "I Am a Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel:

A winters day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
Ive built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
Its laughter and its loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But Ive heard the words before;
Its sleeping in my memory.
I wont disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

I guess I'm no rock. I think I'm more like silly putty.

4 comments:

Jesse said...

Interesting discussion--

I feel like I've spent the last few years keeping myself from being as vulnerable as I maybe used to be--under the guise of being a stronger person. In the end, I only feel that it's made me more selfish and less giving than I once was. And while I'm generally happier with my life now, the fact that I've had to look out for number one more often than not to get things the way they are leaves me feeling kind of hollow about it.

Do I prefer a life in which I have all of the things that I want and do all of the things I want to when I want to, even though I feel as though I've had to sacrifice some of my more tender qualities as a person to get there? Do I want to live a life in which I like the lifestyle that I have but not so much the person living it...or do I make those sacrifices, stick my neck out, and become vulnerable again in hopes that my sense of goodness and virtue within myself return.

Maybe it's all in my head or maybe I've truly become an asshole and a self absorbed prick. I can't really tell anymore. Perhaps I should take off the blinders after all and see what is actually happening in the world around me.

The conclusion that I've come to though is this: If you never take chances, nothing ever happens. And if you (like me) are okay with living the same day over and over and over again and never finding any deeper happiness than the superficial, by all means it is a legitimate, safe way to live. If you never take chances you won't ever get hurt and you can pretty much exist in this weird stasis forever.

But you'll also never be any more than quasi happy either. Sometimes that's okay. Sometimes it isn't. For you to decide, I guess.

And for what it's worth--it's nice to see you open up a little.

amy said...

Ian. I think that we may all spend our entire lives striving to find our own personal balance of strength, vulnerability, and truth. More, I think we're SUPPOSED to spend our lives finding that balance. I don't thing it's meant to be static. Maybe it was the right time to show a little vulnerability. Maybe there's strength in THAT.

cb said...

Vulnerability and weakness are not the same thing, no definition of vulnerable even suggested weakness. In fact, i'm pretty sure that it takes strength to be vulnerable. Funny how in these definitions of strength, only the first requires one to be strong (for lack of a better word..maybe tough/powerful), the others are merely measurements of strength/weakness. In a related note, when truth is attained, what difference does it matter how strong, weak, or "vulnerable" a person may be? And upon reaching said truth, what can be done to change it? Isn't it the truth, after all?
Also, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me" Is that a Stuart Smalley quote??
And as far as jq's response, yes, you have become an asshole and a self absorbed prick.
nice blogs, both of you

little.rogue77 said...

vulnerability and weakness are not (necessarily) synonymous, but a good many people would say that if something is vulnerable, then it is pretty much at its weakest point (unprotected/undefended). a chain is as vulnerable as its weakest link--that which is the vulnerable part of the chain. It is just a matter of the words used and the source of the definition--I was too lazy to find an unabridged source.

second, i never suggested that the truth could or should be changed; however, reaching the truth may have consequences--after all, some people kill themselves after (or before) they reveal the truth. my point was more of a decesion on whether or not to reveal the truth to others and risk getting hurt.

third--yes, the quote is from Stuart Smalley.

fourth: maybe jesse is becoming me and i am becoming him....ha ha. nah, i'm still somewhat of a prick myself (mostly just at work though, and it's warrented).