Saturday, July 21, 2007

Lucky Small World

I moved about 2-3 weeks ago from Dallas to Atlanta. I knew maybe 2 people at the time that I moved here. That really kind of sucks. I had so many friends in Dallas whom I could call to visit, go to the movies, go to eat dinner, etc. I don't have that anymore. I have eaten more peanut butter lately than I have since I was about 13. It's fairly depressing to cook something that you can eat for a week and not have anyone around to eat it with you, so you're stuck eating the same thing for a week at your table in your house by yourself (see Gigi's blog, "Table for One"). However, it's also fairly depressing to go out and eat by yourself, which I have done a few time since I have moved here because I'm very, very hungry and really don't have a choice. Usually I will talk to someone on the phone during this time so I don't feel like a total, hardcore loser (or that I at least have some company while I'm feeling like one).

The other day while I was at work, I recalled that a girl from my med school class was also working at Emory. So looked her up and sent her a text page. She responded by saying, "Hell yeah this is Susan from LSU...". That made me feel a little bit better.

Yesterday I got up at around 5am. I worked until about 5pm. I then hurried and ate dinner (by myself, as has been the trend lately). Then I worked again nonstop from 7pm until 7am this morning. I got home and immediately took a shower and went to bed. I slept from about 8am until 6pm.

After I got out of bed, I decided that I had wasted enough of the day, but I was simply too tired to go work out. So I decided to go and get some tea. A random stranger approached me and asked me if I knew any good bars around here. I told him that I had just moved here and that I really didn't know my way around that well. Besides, I just go to random places anyway if I'm so inclined. I then went to eat and decided I would go and have a few drinks. I saw this guy that looked familiar. I kept looking at him. Finally he came over to me, and it turns out that we went to medical school together. I have located 2 people from medical school in about 3 days time. I guess that's kind of lucky. At least it's comforting to know someone rather than feeling like a stranger in a place where you don't know anyone.

Speaking of lucky, I felt so out of place when I was in high school. I seems like all of the "cool" people from high school sort of turned out to be losers. All of the "losers" from high school turned out to be cool. I was more of a loner (still kind of dorky as well). I hated people. I sure do make friends faster now than I did then, and I think that is lucky.

Anyhow, I guess sometimes you get lucky.....although, I don't think I'm as lucky as when I was younger. Who knows though....maybe there is still some luck left for me. I feel the Ambien kicking in. I'm going to stop here for now.

A: "Oh what's that on that plant?"
S: "It's a praying mantis"
A: "Oh, kill it.....kill it"

Dialogue between Alvin L. Shaw and another student (1993)
RIP Mr. Shaw.


...I was sitting not two days ago
Feeling lonely cause I'm just feeling low
And I asked Henry my bar tending friend
Why is it that there are those kind of men

And Henry said
You're lucky to even know me
You're lucky to be alive
You're lucky to be drinking here for free
'Cause I'm a sucker for your lucky pretty eyes

And then he said
Do ya wanna be a polyester bride
Do ya wanna hang your head and die
Do ya wanna find alligator cowboy boots they just put on sale
Do ya wanna flap your wings and fly
Away from here

Cause you've got time
He keeps telling me
You've got time
But I don't believe him
You've got time
Keep on pushing harder
I keep on pushing farther away
He keeps telling me maybe
He says maybe....

Liz Phair
"Polyester Bride"


P.S. Gigi, you need to come to visit so that I can go out and eat. I'm starving to
death. I'm really going to party like Kate Moss before too long.

1 comment:

-G^2 said...

I miss you too. September feels like it's inching towards us.